Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Day of School

Today was a confusing and stressful day. I didn't think it would be, but it was. Austin was placed in afternoon kindergarten. Since Tate and he are at the babysitter's during the day I arranged the bus to pick him up and drop him off at the babysitters. I wanted to go with him on his first day, but I also wanted him to get use to riding the bus. So, after talking to Mom, I decided to meet the bus at the babysitters and then follow the bus to the school. He was suppose to be the last pick-up, but I ended up following the bus for an hour. I don't think they know what they are doing because we covered almost every road in Archer and a few multiple times...where they would flip a u-turn. A little while in I noticed they were dropping off kids from the morning kindergarten and picking up for the afternoon. That would get confusing. Two buses met in the Stake Center parking lot for a little while and then the bus stopped in the middle of the road for about 15 minutes doing nothing. I was just about to get out and ask "Are we going to school today?". His class was suppose to start at 11:40 a.m. and we didn't get to the school until 12:15. I was a little frusterated since Austin was late for school and I was late getting back to work (since I was using my lunch break). But when we finally got to the school it was good because Austin had made a couple of friends on the bus and the teachers were waiting for them and told the group of them that they were having a hawaiian party and gave all the kids a lei. The teachers were wearing hula skirts over their pants. It was pretty cute. So I walked with all the kids and Austin's teacher to his class. The teachers separated the kids into the right classes and Austin started walking in his class. I asked him "Where's my hug?". So he came back and sort of leaned his head on me and looked at me like "What are you doing here...there's no other moms here?". So I left feeling like I shouldn't have gone. But then the after school drama hit. I didn't find this out until after I picked up the kids at the babysitters. She told me that they think Austin got on the wrong bus. When he didn't get off the bus with the rest of the kids she started calling the district bus office and said that she had a missing child. They radioed around and he was dropped off at her house about a half hour later. Also, he left his backpack on the bus. I wouldn't be worried about that except that I put his glasses in the front pocket this morning. Now I'm thinking I should have stayed at the school with him. Don't they keep track of these kindergarteners and show them where they need to go? I have my doubts after today.

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

Sounds like a great start to the next 13 years of school! I don't know why you would expect it to go any better! ;) Sounds kind of typical for the first time! Glad he was found and I hope you locate his bag. I'm sure tomorrow will be better!

Tom said...

Maybe the bus driver was trying to lose the crazy lady that was tailing the bus.

Unknown said...

Poor you and poor Austin! Hopefully he still had fun and I like Tom's comment. :)

Tara said...

Funny boy, Tom!

Packrat said...

Oh dear, what a mess! I hope you get the backpack (glasses!) back.

Ashley and Dave said...

Haha. Tom is funny! That would actaully tick me off that somehow they didnt track Austin better onto the right bus. Like the kids know where they are supposed to go people!! dumb. I would have been ticked.

Lisa and Randy said...

Sounds like you had a very eventful first day of school. Pretty bad that he got lost on the first day!! I didn't think that was possible in Archer. Hope those bus rides go smoother for your sake!!

Miriam said...

are you kidding me? Man....that first bus driver and whoever was in charge of getting those kids onto the buses after school sure didn't do their jobs well. Not surprising the first day had a few rocky turns in it, but both of those sound just plain unprepared or negligent! No wonder you told me I needed to read this post! Hopefully it's been better since then?