Friday, October 22, 2010

Parent Teacher Conference & Dentist




Austin is in first grade this year. We transfered him to a different school this year so that he could be bussed to my sister-in-laws house until I get off work. He has been wizzing through his homework and has commented that he gets bored at school. He teacher told us that he is one of the smartest kids in his class and he is in the advanced reading group. I should be happy about this, but last year at his old school he was about average. Does this mean he is improving or that he isn't be pushed enough? I'm not sure what to think. If we just coast through this year I hope that he isn't behind when we transfer him again.
Lucky guy got his first filling at the dentist today. He was such a trooper. He was a little scared when we first went in and he got a little agitated when he tasted the sealant, but then they put the "elephant nose" on him. Things went pretty good from there. He said it felt like there was a ball in his cheek and he kept giggling about that. I was afraid that he might be afraid to go to the dentist after this, but I don't even think he remembers the "fairy prick". Plus he got to watch cartoons the whole time. Not too bad.



5 comments:

Janssen said...

Sealant has a VERY yucky taste.

Lisa and Randy said...

Cute dentist pics. Reagan's pretty lucky that she has her daddy for her dentist. She LOVES to have him work on her teeth. She's already sat through a real cleaning but when I had my teeth cleaned she totally freaked out!!!

Chelsea said...

Yep, have to agree the sealant tastes horrible. I'm glad it went to well for his first major visit to the dentist. Maybe he won't turn out like me and have a phobia of the dentist office.

Ashley and Dave said...

Hmmm. That is interesting about school. Maybe his new school just isnt up to the same level as his old school...that is what I would guess (not that Austin isnt superdeduper smart;) I know that Debbie has made comments about how Hibbard doesnt score as high as some of the other schools in town (because she was all worried about Jen's boys going there) But I think it will be okay....it will probably be a good thing to go back to being average next year because he wont be bored then :)
Oh, I am not looking forward to the first time Kins gets a cavity.

Miriam said...

Cute pictures. (I don't know if I've ever tasted sealant!) Don't know what to suggest for the school thing - that's a toughie. I would think reading and math would be the two biggies to make sure he's always on top of....even if it's on the computer as games (which we know he loves) keep him reading and doing age level math problems.